Saturday, February 18, 2006

Start up

This is meant to be a scrape book for me in trying to keep my thoughts organized and pin down what goes on in my mind in the course of a PhD that I am hopefully to do at Lancaster University. I will try to keep certain important elements of my life out of this and keep this focused on recording what I read in regards to my research.

My supervisor has specifically asked me to jot down something on everything I read in terms of how it inspires me in the methodology and content of my research. I am going to use this as my notebook to keep track of the relevant stuff I read with mentioning my perceptions and understandings along with page numbers and all.

Lancaster, a small town it might be, is a big and risky decision in an already complicated life. In getting through 'the maze' I would need to call in all my 'resources' in the broadest possible sense where the most important sense is, of course, God.


PS. I thought I might add this email that I wrote to Ruth in pointing out some advantages of doing this weblog thing.


Dear Ruth,
In line with what you advised me to do in keeping a journal of the materials that I read, I have decided to do it online in a form of weblog. I have had some experience in doing this as I had a weblog when I was in India and was writing about my day to day experience and situations in India. There are some advantages in doing this.

Firstly you can read what I write and if needed comment on the specific topic or idea.
Second thing is that it will be available for any body else who might be interested
to join in the discussion.
Thirdly, I won't have to write that in pen and paper type coz I am not good at that and my handwriting sucks!!
Fourth, When I write here I am forced to be a little more formal than in my notebook and this can be a good point (although it is taking more time)
Fifth, I will do the action of writing more and this is good for me.
Sixth, it will be a very good collection after a while.

Here is link to my weblog on CDA there is a comment section at the end of each posting through which you can leave your comments for me.

WWW.LANCASTERMAZE.BLOGSPOT.COM

Important
I am writing this as a student and there will certainly be a lot of points which I get wrong or have not sufficient information about. Yet, because it is a personal thing and I don't intend to promote it I have given myself the liberty to write my views freely and raise any questions that come to my mind. Once again my comments might be naive, wrong, or too strong at times yet that is the whole idea in the first place. Please consider it as just a scrape book.

I have been posting on the weblog since last week and there are several posts already. In the first post I have talked about what this weblog would be and I hope I can stick to it. This will strictly be on my academic experience here in Lancaster although in theory there is no such thing as isolated academic experience. Here is the link to the first posting.

http://lancastermaze.blogspot.com/2006/02/start-up.html

I hope you like it.
Best
Majid

2 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this idea a lot and will read this with great interest.
Best
Ruth

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea Majid. I am a PhD student in CDA myself, and I find your work very interesting.
Best,
A. Zaher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home